Sardines - 10
Shallots - 20 (chopped)
Tomatoes - 2 (chopped)
Garlic - 2 pods (chopped)
Green chillies - 1 (chopped)
Tamarind pulp - 1 1 /2 Tbsp (approx)
Fenugreek seeds - 1 / 2 Tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 / 2 Tsp
Chilli powder - 2 Tsps
Cumin powder - 1 Tsp
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
Salt - to taste
Oil - 3 Tbsps
- Heat oil in a pan and add one sprig of curry leaves and fenugreek seeds.
- When the fenugreek seeds change to a brown colour, add the chopped shallots, garlic and green chillies.
- Saute till the shallots are transparent and add the chopped tomatoes.
- Saute for a few minutes and add the spice powders one after another.
- Add the tamarind pulp and saute for two minutes.
- Add enough water and salt to taste.
- When the water begins to boil, add the sardines and cover the pan.
- Let the curry simmer for 15 to 20 minutes till the sardines are cooked well.
- Garnish with a sprig of curry leaves and serve hot with rice.