Brinjal - 1 ( sliced thin )
Onions - 2 ( sliced )
Green Chillies - 4 ( sliced )
Tomatoes 0 2 ( sliced )
Basmathi Rice - 1 cup
Ginger & Garlic Paste - 2 Tsps
Coriander Leaves - 3 Tbsps ( chopped )
Mint - 2 Tbsps ( chopped )
Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
Cloves - 2
Cardamoms - 2
Star Anise - 1
Yogurt - 3 / 4 cup
Chilli Powder - 2 Tbsps
Garam Masala Powder - 1 Tsp
Ghee - 3 Tbsps
Oil - As Required
Salt - To Taste
Chilli Powder - 1 / 2 Tsp
Turmeric Powder - a pinch
Salt - To Taste
Fried Cashewnuts - 15
1. Marinate the brinjal slices in the spices to marinate for 30
2. Heat oil in a pan and in a low flame fry the brinjal slices till
3 / 4 th done.
3. Remove and drain oil. Keep aside.
4. Heat the 1 Tbsp of ghee in a pressure cooker and roast the basmathi
rice a little. Add the remaining ghee and drop in the whole spices.
5. Add the sliced onions and green chilies and fry till golden brown.
6. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute till raw smell is no more.
7. Add the coriander, mint leaves and sliced tomatoes and cook till
the tomatoes are soft.
8. Add the spice powders and salt to taste followed by yogurt.
9. Mix well and simmer for 3 minutes stirring now and then.
10. Add the fried brinjal slices and water.
11. When it starts to boil add the rice and mix once.
12. Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
13. Serve hot garnished with fried cashewnuts.
Note : The number of whistles varies with different brands of cookers.
If the brinjals are small quarter them half way through and marinate
in the spice powders and fry them ... this might take some more time.