Raw Rice - 1 cup
Green Gram Dhal (Moong Dhal) - 1/4 cup
Jaggery (powdered) - 1 1/2cups
Thick coconut milk- 1/2 cup
Cardamom (powdered) - 4
Cashewnuts - 15
Coconut pieces (cubed) - 5Tbsps
Ghee – 1/4 cup
- Wash the dhal and rice separately and pressure cook along with 4 cups of water till soft.
- Dissolve jaggery in 1/4 cup of water and strain.
- To the cooked dhal and rice add the jaggery and continue to cook till the mixture is thick.
- Add the coconut milk and cook for 2 – 3 minutes stirring all the way.
- Finally just before removing from stove add 2 Tbsp of ghee and cardamom powder.
- Heat the remaining ghee and fry the cashewnuts and raisins , add to the pongal and fry the coconut pieces in the remaining ghee.
- Serve sweet pongal garnished with fried coconut pieces.